Posted by: Lizzy | 2008-12-04

Tietze Syndrome

One year ago we were involved in a armed robbery. We were tied up but at the end did not get hurt. Thank God for that.

I have developed a syndrome called Tietze Syndrome. I think it must be because of the stress and anxiety afterwards. I suppose you are familiar with this syndrome. I think I might have PTSD as well.

How can I prevent this syndrome to escalate any further? Do you think exercise twice a week will make a difference? Is stess the only cause for this syndrome or might there be other causes as well that I am nog aware of?

Hope you can give me more info etc. What can I do, except for exercise, to relief my stress?

Kind regards

Tietze's is an odd syndrome giving pain in the chest wall, at the borders between the ribs and the cartilage that attaches to them. It often arrives mysteriously and disappears after a time. It does indeed often seem to follow both physical strain the the chest and psychologically stressful events. But stress is definitely not the main cause, as it often arises in people who have experienced no stress at all, and the other causes are not well understood. CBT counselling could help you to identify your own current sources of stress and to handle them better.