Question
Posted by: shaz | 2008/10/20

Ticks

Hi all

I am having a real problem with ticks - I have been treating all three my dogs and cat with frontline every six weeks as said, sparaying bedding etc.. its just not helping - I think they must be in the yard, I keep finding them on my dogs - my lab just had tick bite fever for the second time in 2 months - tried a different one to frontline - starts with a d (new one on market) as vet suggested they get immune to frontline... they seem to love her face though , I find them on her eyebrows - it is the smallish red ones...I am at my wits end...
What do you guys use to treat the yard...some-one suggested I try jeyes fluid mixed with water and spray the yard - is this harmful to pets???? another suggested misxing tick dip and water and spraying the yard...
Any suggestions , please.

Thankyou

Dear Shaz

It is very difficult to treat ticks in your garden. Keeping all the grass short helps. Put preventic collars on your dogs and use Advantix monthly and buy the frontline spray. Wet a ball of cotton wool with the frontline spray and wet the dogs face with this every month. There is also a vaccination available against tick bite fever. This has been on the market for 2 months.

6
Posted by: Ruan | 2016/06/30

Hi guys i used FENDONA inside my house and REGENT outside it worked like a charm i bought my dog BRAVECTO it is expensive allso worked like a charm, i tried DAZZEL NF but a close friend of mine told me it could kill my 4 legged friend, have heard the plain normal BOBMARTIN dip they sell in pick n pay allso work on dogs but havent tried it before.

Reply to Ruan
Posted by: Roberto | 2016/03/07

Thanks for your advice Ali, what I need to know now is.Is this product really so dangerous that I have to use cloves and a mask. If I mixed it with water on the 10ml to a 6 liter of water.

Reply to Roberto
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/11/29

To get rid of ticks in your garden, the best thing (in my opinion) to use is Dursban. I have had excellent results with it.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/11/15

I will never in my intire life ever use Dazzle again, I also thought it was the best dip ever, always have used it on my dogs, till now. My dog died, even thow I did exactly as the instructions said, it depends on your dogs strenght and imune systime, all I'm saying is beware, if I'de just known.

Posted by: Amanda | 2013/10/01

I used Dazzle a long time ago on my dogs and had excellent results, I thought it was made by Coopers and went to Agri today and saw a Beyer Dazzle in a white box? I remember a yellow and black box but they might have changed the packaging? Just not sure if this is the same product, kindly let me know

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: Alli | 2008/10/21

I live on a farm and also have great big problems with ticks on my dogs. A couple of years ago my vet suggested that I dip my dogs with the same dip that`s used om cattle and sheep. You can buy it at Agri-Mark, the name of the dip is DAZZLE. It is in a yellow and black box. Read the instructions very carefully and you only use about 20ml of dip in 25l of water - do not rinse the dog after you applied the dip. In the instructions there`s a section on how to prepare the strenght of the dip for dipping rabbits, I use the same strenght for the dogs. The dip is absorbed through the dog`s skin and into the blood, so it`s quite effective in killing ticks, fleas and even skin problems. It smells bad for a day or so, but then the smell disapear. It`s a lot cheaper than frontline.

Reply to Alli