Posted by: Jean | 2009-05-12

Our 12yr old son has a tic which started 5 yrs ago. we have had him at a psychologist who said that he is well-adjusted and happy as well as a psychiatrist 3 yrs ago. Together with our son we decided not to use medication. The tic becomes very bothersome between May and November for about 3 months then seems to abate for a while. My son is quite aware of it as it distorts his face (it is sometimes accompanied by a guttural sound) but he does not let it influence his social interaction. He plays sport and is a top learner at school. He is allergic to dairy, was on cortisone as a baby and we now mange his allergic asthma quite well without medication) Is there any way we can manage this tic? What is the prognosis? Can it be due to stress and is it a case of tourrettes syndrome?

Dear Jean
It could be Tourette's and I think you should take him to a neurologist for evaluation - I don't think this is just stress related. He is going into his teens when this could well become a problem that could influence his social development.