Posted by: gaining &  gaining | 2009-01-27

Thyroid removed and now I' m getting fat

I' m at my whitts end. I had my thyroid removed in July last year. I' m on eltroxin and my last blood test said the levels are where they should be. Iv been going to gym and eating healthy and small quantities. but still I gain iv gone from 57 kg to 64 kg it makes me so sad. I really need some advise. I am considering joining body shape rs but am not sure if this will help. do you have any suggestions.

Dear Gaining & Gaining
Because you don't list your height in metres I cannot calculate your BMI to see if you are overweight or not. If you are steadily gaining weight after the removal of your thyroid gland then it may be a good idea to consult an Endocrinologist (a dr who specialises in hormone imbalances). Ask your gp to refer you. Reducing your fat intake moderately (every gram of fat contributes 37 kJ to the diet, while carbs and protein only contribute 16 and 17 kJ per gram respectively) and doing plenty of cardio exercise should do the trick.