Posted by: swg | 2009-03-19

thyroid profile

as a child i developed a multi nodular thryoid. My thyroid function has always been fine. Before my second surgery to remove most of the thyroid and all the nodules (about 11 in total) my surgeon prescribed me eltroxin to try and suppress the growth of the nodules. i havent had any issues since the final surgery but i do have my blood tests done yearly. unfortunately my surgeon has since retired.
my go doesnt seem to be too clued up and just tell me to carry on as it. (i take 2 large eltroxin a day)

I asked for a copy of my results this time and it had this comment added from the pathologist:

Biochemies verenigbaar met vroee primere hipertireose(ook vroeg tiroiditis). Tiroiedauto-antiliggaambepaling mag van waarde wees, Teroiedhormoonterapie kan ook so beeld weerge.

i' ve seen most of my previous results but cant rememeber that thyroiditus or auto immune tests were ever mentioned.
my surgeon always kept my levels borderline overactive to supress any further growths.

ABN : *L
resultaat : 0.03
reikwydtes : 0.35 - 4.20

Vry T4:
resultaat : 20.4
rekwydtes 10-20

i know you dont know me or my whole boring history but what do you think? should i ask for more tests?

Dear Swg
Your dose of Eltroxin that you are taking may be too much now, as one grows older your metabolism change and the dose should be adjusted too. You can see an endocrinologist if you think you need a second opinion?