Posted by: Chai | 2010-02-28

Thyroid problems

Hi doc

I''m 30, female, and have been depressed and tired all the time for the last 8 years.

I have tried various antidepressants but have not found one that works for me.

I was sick last week and we discovered that my thyroid was a bit low. My doc says I should test it again in 3 months but I suspect it also tested low in 2006.

The results were:
T4 11.1 7.2-15.2pmd/L
S-TSH 1.22 0.37 3.5mIU/L

I have read that urine thyroid and adrenaline testing can be more accurate?

I would like my doctor to put me on a 3-month thyroid meds trial anyway as I hope that this could help me finally regain energy, enthusiasm, and lose the uneccessary weight that I always seem to carry around.

Lastly, do you think hair analyisis can be helpful in this regard?

Thanks and kind regards,

There are a multitude of reasons for chronic tiredness. Your doctor should focus on these possibilities. I would like to point out that fibromyalgia and adrenal fatigue syndrome.

Your thyroid levels are normal and therefore, I doubt that your thyroid is the cause of your problems. You can however, repeat your thyroid levels within three months but taking Eltroxin while your thyroid count is normal, can cause other problems.

A hair analysis can be an expensive alternative to detect chronic hypothyroidism.