Posted by: kim | 2009-02-02

thyroid problems

My family has a history of thyroid problems on both sides.
I have a history of rapid weight gain and weight loss without apparent reason.
Have been diagnosed with a heart murmur.
My basal body temperature is between 35 - 36 degrees C.
I have had a TSH test twice both times it came back with TSH of between 4.5 and 4.8.
My GP has not put me on any medication.
I have iodine sensitivity.(can' t take kelp supplements, can' t eat fish, skin reaction to providone)
Recently my fingers on both hands have started to swell, go white and hard.
Should I seek the advice of an endocrinologist and what testing should I ask for?

Dear Kim
You could get a second opinion from a physician. Don't ask for specific tests, tell him your symptoms and let him examine you - he will do the tests he thinks is necessary to exclude thyroid problems ( like a full thyroid screen with antibodies).