Question
Posted by: Freda | 2008/08/11

Thyroid problem! What food can I eat!

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid 18 months ago! I have since been on eltroxin and I absolutely battle to loose weight. All in all I have picked up 10kg and was told no bread and no carbs of course. I am 39 and surely it cant be that difficult to lose this weight! Can you recommend a diet for me?

Dear Freda
An underactive thyroid can really cause problems and it is always a good idea to have your thyroid hormone levels checked by the dr just to see if you are on the correct dosage. I don't know who told you 'no bread and no carbs' because this is certainly not a sensible way to lose weight. Carbohydrates have the lowest energy content of all so-called macronutrients at 16 kJ per gram (compare this to 37 kJ per gram for fat and you will see what a difference there is). I am therefore going to recommend an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and that you increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. The exercise is important because it not only promotes weightloss, but also stimulates your metabolism which may be sluggish due to the low thyroid hormone levels. On this regimen you can expect to lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week.