Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-01

Thyroid or something else

Hi. My Fiance have a problem. She keeps on complaining that her thyroid gland is sore. She went to the doctor and he picked up that she has cysts on it. He also picked up she has ovarian cysts. Now the question I have, she has the following symptoms, and I just want to know if they are symptoms of the thyroid problems :
Very tired sometimes through the day
When she gets hungry she eats something, but still feels hungry afterwards
Nauseas now and then, but when she eats it goes away
Her wrist joints were sore the other day for 2 days
Headaches almost everyday
Are these thyroid related? Or what else should we consider. She is on Nordette contraceptive for 5 months now, and she hasn' t missed 1 pill and she always takes it the same time everyday. She had bronchitis a week ago as well, and is only starting to feel better now.

Dear Thyroid
f your fiancee has cysts on her thyroid this could cause hypothyroidism (underproduction of thyroid hormone). The classical symptoms of hypothyroidism are tiredness, enlargement of the thyroid gland (goitre), dry, flaky skin, weight gain, deepening of the voice. I trust that her dr has indicated how he intends treating the thyroid cysts. The ovarian cysts could cause headaches and nausea, but nausea that improves when the patient eats, could also indicate a stomach ulcer. Feeling hungry and not being satisfied on eating, could indicate insulin resistance which is often associated with polycystic ovarian disease. I think the pains in the wrists could have been due to her respiratory infection. I would recommend that your girl friend should obtain treatment for both her thyroid and ovarian cysts as soon as possible.