Question
Posted by: LARA | 2008/07/11

THYROID LOBECTOMY

I had a thyroid lobectomy 3 months ago, due to a huge nodule that developed in the left lobe. There are also a number of cysts in the remaining part of the thyroid. The surgeon left my on 0.05 mg Eltroxin (which I have been on for the past 2 years), but I am battling to lose weight. I am following a strict (but healthy) diet, but NOTHING is happening. In fact, I seem to be putting on weight. (I am 38). Shouldn't I be on a higher dose of Eltroxin?

Thx

Lara

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You should consult your doctor in order to have a blood test done, called a T4 count. This way he/she will be able to assess if you need a higher dose of Eltroxin.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Bev | 2009/03/12

I have a rather large bump on the right side of my neck which is not painful-just a bit ugly. My GP referred me to a surgeon who did a scan and informed me that I have multiple nodular growths on my thryoid gland (a goitre) and that the whole lot needs to be removed - nodes and thyroid. Firstly, what causes this? My last two thyroid tests came back normal but I am battling to lose weight and my hair is thinning-a lot! Secondly, is there any other way of going about this apart from surgery? No medication to shrink the nodes?

Reply to Bev