Question
Posted by: Dawn Pillay | 2010/10/13

thyroid function and soya products

I am hypothyroid and take eltroxin 0.1mg. i have been reading conflicting articles about soya and thyroid function. In many cases it says that it should be completely avoided. I have recently started taking the USN diet fuel product and this contains soy protein isolate. Should I stop this? Please advise

Dear Dawn
There is scientific evidence that poorly processed soya products can contain an anti-thyroid factor which may suppress thyroid function. I cannot judge if the product you are taking contains this factor or not, but in general most soya containing meal supplements, etc, sold by reputable companies should be free of this factor. If you do find that you are not achieving the desired results with USN diet fuel, then it would be advisable to stop using it.

1

Dear Dawn