Posted by: Mrs C | 2010-08-13

Thyroid antibodies

I recently had thyroid bloods done and they came back with T4 and TSH levels normal but my thyroid antibodies were extremely high:
Thyroglobulin Ab = 165.19 (Reference 0.31 - 4.11)
Thyroid antimicrosomal Ab = 21.59 (Reference 0.16- 5.61)

I have been told by my physician that it is just a viral infection and there is nothing to worry about. I should just repeat the test in 3 to 4 months. I am not happy with this. How would I know if this is just a virus and not a condition I''ve been living with for a while? Also, should I not be treated in the meantime and if so, what would you recommend?

Mrs C

I strongly suggest that you consult an endocrynologist. It is definately possible that you have a viral infection and there is in fact no treatment for this. You should have your thyroid levels checked every three months to see if there is a negative effect on your thyroid gland.

In some cases, viral infections can cause hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).