Posted by: Elmarie | 2009-02-03

Thyroid and Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)

I would like to know is there a connection between an overactive thyroid and Restless leg syndrome (RLS) ? I have suffred RLS for couple of years now. I use slowmag and it seems to help. I did have my Thyroid checked years ago and was told it is slightly over active. All the women in my family history on my mothers side have had Thyroid problems from Great Gran to Mother. My mother has had Goitre diagnosed latley. Will i get it too. What effect does smoking have on thyroid problems.

Hallo Elmarie
Yes an overactive thyroid can cause RLS symptoms. It will probably improve if an overactive thyroid is treated. Smoking can aggravate the symptoms of thyroid disease. Hyperthyroidism may be hereditary.