Posted by: chanty | 2009-02-11

Thyroid and PCOS

I am 1.5 meters tall and weigh 63kg. I know this is overweight. I have a very unstable thyroid and pcos. My thyroid will be over active for a few months and then go back to under active. I cant seem to lose weight. Can you guide me please?

Dear Chanty
Your present BMI = 28 which is overweight. To get back to a normal BMI of about 24, you would have to weigh 54 kg, thus a loss of 9 kg. I trust that you are receiving treatment from a physician or a gynaecologist for your thyroid and the PCOS. The latter condition is often associated with insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as the PCOS, fluctuating thyroid levels and overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).