Question
Posted by: ILSE | 2011/04/12

THYROID AND IODINE

I HAVE AN UNDERACTIVE THYROID FOR WHICH I AM TAKING ELTROXIN. I RECENTLY STARTED USING A MULTIVITAMIN WHICH I KNOW SEE CONTAINS 100MICROGRAMS OF IODINE. CAN THIS HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON MY THYROID? I WAS ADVISED TO AVOID E.G. TAKING KELP BECAUSE OF THE IODINE CONTENT. I DID NOT REALISE THAT THESE VITAMINS CONTAIN IODINE. SHOULD I STOP TAKING IT?

Hi Ilse
The recommended intake of iodene for an adult is about 150 micrograms per day. You probably also get in some iodene if you use iodized salt but I don't think you are getting in too much via the multivit. Just check your thyroid functions now and then as the iodene may have an effect on your Eltroxin needs.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/12

Hi Ilse