Posted by: Puzzled | 2011-05-22

Thyroid and Blood Pressure

Dear Doctor,
I have been taking Eltroxin for 8 years about a year after starting on it my blood pressure started going high at times to about 160/85. this did not happen often as the norm was around 135/75. I was put onto Felodipine and told to stick to a low sodium diet. But my blood pressure has not changed at all on the medication. It stays at a normal rate of 135/75 and sometimes normally when I am at the doctor or not feeling well goes up to 158/85

What I would like to know does Eltroxin affect the BP as it contains sodium with the thyroxine.
I did have to lower my dose of Eltroxin 3years ago as it was causing atrial fibrillation.

The sodium in Eltroxin will not influence your blood pressure. Ask your doctor to prescribe a duiretic to assist in lowering your blood pressure.