Posted by: Sheila | 2012-01-11

Thyroid &  Dry Eyes

Hi Doc,

I have an underactive thyroid and take 100mg Eltroxin daily. I have been taking this for 17 years and am 40 this year. I suffer when I have to go into a mall as the aircon or fans hurt my eyes. They get very dry and burn like crazy and then the tears flow. Could this be because of a side effect of the Eltroxin?

I have been to the Optician who plugged my lower tear ducts and gave me Artificial Tears, but this has not helped. I take no other medication.

Another thyroid question. If I have an underactive thyroid, should I not be overweight? I weigh 58kgs and am 1.8m tall, so my BMI is low. I do not understand this.

Thank you.

Hypothyroidism can cause dryness of the eyes. Your low BMI is due to the treatment with Eltroxin. You should consult your doctor for blood tests, to determine if your dose of Eltroxin is sufficient or if it is necessary to lower the dose to 50mg per day.

Posted by: Anne | 2012-01-12

Sheila try taking some essential fatty acids, it really does help dry eyes. You can eyes celluvisc for extremely dry eyes as well.
I too have a hypothyroid but I am not as lucky as you with my weight.

Yes dry eyes and hypothyroid go together. It is an auto immune reaction. You probably have Hashimoto''s Thyroiditis which is an auto immune disorder.

Eat healthy food, fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds and supplement your diet with EFA''s Omega 3''s and 6''s. I buy the bottle from Dischem in the fridge and have a tablespoon a day.

Reply to Anne