Posted by: Anel Coetzee | 2013-02-11

I discover a lump on the left side of my throat. My GP sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. The findings were as follows: Left lobe of thyroid enlarged with volume 15.1cm3. Large adenomatous colloid nodule 18.3 x 17.6 mm with cystic degeneration. Small adenomatous colloid nodule right lobe of thyroid. Blood results ( TSH) were normal. The GP sent me to a specialist. He did a needle aspiration to rule out cancer. Test was negative. The only feedback I received from the specialist was to come back in 6 months time. I want to know what caused my thyroid to enlarge and if the cause is not treated it will surely go on enlarging? Should I get another opinion?

Colloid nodules are the most common nodules found in the thyroid. They are benign and will not spread beyond the thyroid gland. If the nodule enlarge to such an extent that it warrants surgical intervention, the doctor will excise the nodule. A colloid nodule is an overgrowth of thyroid tissue and there is no spesific cause for it. Do not be too concerned and consult the doctor for a follow-up ultrasound in 6 months.