Posted by: Quizzy | 2013-01-17

I have a naturally low body temp, and seem to be gaining weight (not muscle but fat and inches )steadily despite having being on a healthy lowered cal, low Gi diet with exercise regularily - for about 6 months. Someone mentioned it could be thyroid, especially since my body temp is always around 35 degrees. I had a test done and it came back negative, but then I saw a tv program with doctors in US saying that the thyroid tests now days are actually inacurate and can actually miss a problematic thyroid. Do you know anything about this? How does one go ahead persuing the thyroid thing once your tests come back negative?

I think that you should consult an endocrinologist for a proper examination and blood tests. A thyroid test looks at three different hormones, namely TSH, T3 and T4. The endocrinologist will also have to determine if you are diabetic or not. In some cases, a low serum cortisol, can have the same effect. Unfortunately, there is nothing that I can suggest until you have consulted an endocrinologist. Please provide me with feedback.