Question
Posted by: Mollie | 2011-12-13

Thyroid

Hi Doc, I have been struggling with my health for 12 years and in that time my thyroid function was tested a few times, but it always showed to be " normal."  I am 39. However, i had a whole lot of other bloodtests done (cortisol, insulin etc) , and according to those tests the dr picked up that my thyroid is underactive, hence the extremely heavy periods, weightgain etc. I find it a little strange that one test show that you are " normal"  and the other that you are hypothyroid. Is possible to let me know why and in fact if that does happen. On what dosis of thyroxine will a patient usually start? I am on 50mcg a day. Lastly, who long before i start feeling better / loose weight etc? REgards

Mollie

I am uncertain about why there were conflicting evidence. To test thyroid levels, a TSH and T4 blood test have to be done. You should respond to the medication within one week to one month. If your symptoms do persist, the blood test has be be redone and increase your dose of Eltroxin.