Question
Posted by: Hashimoto | 2011/10/06

Thyroid

Female, 42 years old. South Africa but live in Tanzania, East Africa. Been diagnosed with Hashimoto''s thyroid problem 4 years ago (in SA) and since then been using 300 micrograms of thryroxine. I have lost 70kg but since last year picked up 30 kg,m tired, my skin and hair looks terrible.

Dear Hashimoto
I am sorry to hear that you have Hashimoto's disease which affects thyroid function. I don't know if you can consult an Endocrinologist (a medical specialist who specialises in the function of the so-called endocrine glands like the thyroid) in Tanzania? If not, then it may be a good idea to arrange a visit to see such a specialist in SA, because the symptoms you describe all point towards a lack of thyroid hormone (weight gain, tiredness, deteriorating skin and hair). You need the specialist to do the necessary tests to see if your thyroid hormone replacement therapy is adequate and also what stage your condition has reached and if you require other types of treatment or not. If at all possible, try to see an Endocrinologist so that your Hashimoto's disease can be properly treated and controlled.
Holding thumbs that you can find such a specialist is Tanzania and if not, that it is possible for you to visit SA again.

1

Dear Hashimoto