Posted by: tlakale | 2010-09-28

hi there.ive been trying to loose weight through starvation and it hasnt worked, but i have since lost appetite for food and my eating parttens have drastically changed.i dont get hungry and i only eat once a day, sometimes nothing solid at all.
i am experiencing problems with my throat,i feel as if someone is strandling me, its the most uncomfortable thing ive gone through.and now that its occuring regurlaly, im starting to worry.could it be my starving myself or is it completely unrelated?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Tlakale,
You are playing with fire here. First, you are being completely irresponsible under-nourishing yourself the way you are. This is not the way to lose weight. What’s more, you have not provided me with enough information to indicate whether you should even be trying to lose weight. However, this is not relevant right now. This forum is not for making a diagnosis, whether it be psychiatric or medical. Your starvation, as your describe it, is not only incredibly destructive to your physical health, but you will soon (if not already) experience a chemical depression as a result of your poor nutritional intake. Not only is your attempt to losing weight by restrictive starvation not providing you with the results you seek, but in the long-term you will cause permanent metabolic damage that will lend to permanent weight gain in the long-term. So stop starving now! Again, I am not sure if you should even be trying to lose weight in the first place, but if it is appropriate for you to do so, do it by means of a healthy, moderated meal plan. I suggest you consult with the DietDoc forum in that respect, or consult directly with a registered dietician. From an emotional angle, I suggest you explore why you need to punish yourself this way and consider consulting with a psychologist if you have access to one. Post me a new question if you want to describe to me what’s happening for you emotionally or socially. I also suggest you consult immediately with a medical doctor for your physical symptom(s), as you are likely experiencing discomfort as a result of your very risky starvation. Act now.

Posted by: tlakale | 2010-09-28

the word is strangle, not strandle

Reply to tlakale