Question
Posted by: Ann | 2010-04-12

Thyroid

Can you please explain the difference between Eltroxin and Diotroxin?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Ann - Your thyroid gland produces two thyroid hormones known as thyroxine (T4) and tri-iodothyronine (T3).
In your body T4 is slowly converted to T3.
Products containing T3 only (TERTROXIN) is therefore faster acting (and more potent) than products containing T4 only (ELTROXIN), but has stays in your body for a shorter period of time. DIOTROXIN contains both T3 and T4.

2
Posted by: Ann | 2010-04-21

Thanks for your reply. I dont have a problem with the T3 or T4, my problem is with the antibodies. I have been on Elttoxin now for nearly 10 years and have picked a lot of weight. My doctor has now decided to put me onto Diotroxin. Want to know if this could make a difference? Isnt there medication that can only work on the antibodies?

Reply to Ann
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-04-13

Reply to pharmacist