Question
Posted by: Joan | 2010/03/18

Thyroid

Dear Doc
Symptoms that I have read up on underactive thyroid match almost all of mine. A few years ago my thyroid was checked and was considered to be normal.
However, I seem to be getting worse and worse. The night before last I was seriously considering suicide. The only symptoms that I do not have are the sensitivity to the cold, only to the heat, and I do not suffer from constipation, only diarrhoea.
Some of these symptoms are: dry, itchy skin, dry hair, inability to lose weight, no matter what. I am totally demotivated to do anything. My hair is falling out in chunks, but I have plenty of hair so that doesn''t worry me so much. I am always exhausted. Recently I have been feeling achey but put it down to ''age'', I am 57.
Please help me, I don''t know what to do.
Joan

Hallo Joan
It could be something else like Cushing syndrome - please ask your doctor to do a full medical check up and some blood tests to look for other hormonal abnormalities - at least your cortisol and prolactin levels.

2
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/03/18

Joan, you must have your thyroid rechecked. Also have your oestrogen levels checked. I was also convinced that I must have an underactive thyroid - I did as well as NO oestrogen. My thyroid is better now and now that I am on an Evoral patch, I have a whole new life. I thought that it was maybe all in the mind and stopped the patch for 2 weeks and ALL those horrible symptoms were back. I did not even consider oesrtogen problems as I am only 37. But that was it for me.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/18

Hallo Joan

Reply to cyberdoc