Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2010/03/16

Thyroid

What levels are considered normal for the T4 &  T3 thyroid hormones????

Hi Kelly
Different labs may have different reference ranges and also different ways of reporting this.
TSH 0.1-6.0 miu/L
free T4 10-25 pmol/L
total T3 1.0-2.5 nmol/

Best is to look on your blood test report if it falls within range
dr Bets

2
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/03/16

When I battled with my thyroid, this was really helpful to me. My thryroid became under active because of cortisone treatment and it was 4.35 - I felt like death. Now that I am better it is 1.2

the site is about.thyroid.com

Here''s How:
1.Find out your thyroid test results from your doctor''s office. 2.If you can, get a hard copy printout for your own review and home medical files. 3.If " normal"  or " reference"  ranges are not indicated on the lab results, ask your doctor''s office to tell you what these ranges are. 4.Note the level of your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). At most labs in the U.S., up until late 2002, the normal range is from around 0.5 to 5.5. That range changed to .3 to 3 as of early 2003. 5.If the TSH level is below normal, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.) 6.If the TSH level is above normal, your doctor may determine that you are hypothyroid (underactive thyroid.) 7.If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism. 8.If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a low TSH, your doctor might look into a pituitary problem. 9.If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was less than 0.7, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism. 10.If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was less than 80, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism. 11.If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was less than 2.3, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism. 12.If your test results come back " normal"  but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, make sure you ask for an antibodies test. Some doctors believe in treating thyroid symptoms in the presence of elevated antibodies and normal TSH levels. 13.If your test results come back " normal"  but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, consider going to a reputable holistic M.D. or alternative physician for further interpretation and diagnosis.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/16

Hi Kelly
TSH 0.1-6.0 miu/L
free T4 10-25 pmol/L
total T3 1.0-2.5 nmol/

dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc