Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2010/02/24

Thyroid

Hi doc, I am 24 years old, have endometriosis. We just found out that I have a moderately enlarged multinodular goiter with solid as well as cystic nodules. It seems that my thyroid is overactive. I have symptoms of over as well as underactive thyroid BUT I struggle with my weight - I keep gaining and can''t lose any which is normally hypo and not hyper. I know they treat hyperthyroidism with the radioactive iodine, but I have the goiter as well - will this necessarily mean more tests or will it go to surgery? (Personally I would like them to remove it as it''s uncomfortable.)

Hallo Charlie
If you have an overactive thyroid, they will probably need to do more tests to determine if there is a risk of malignancy. According to this they will decide whether iodine treatment or operation is necessary. The best would be to discuss the options with your doctor.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/24

Hallo Charlie

Reply to cyberdoc