Question
Posted by: TEssa | 2010-01-12

Thyroid

My thyroid was tested and the results are TSH 3.17 uIU/mL and T4 - 14.5 pmol/L.
According to the pathologists these are 100% within the normal ranges. My GP however says that she went to a sminar last week where she learnt that the ranges have been adjusted upwards and that my counts are therefor too low. Do you agree?

Hallo Tessa
If you have symptoms of hypo/hyperthyroidism your doctor may need to treat your thyroid even though the results is within normal limits according to the lab(normal limits are determined by the average results of patients in that area and may differ from lab to lab) I think if your doctor feels that in the light of the test results, the clinical examination and your symptoms, she needs to treat with thyroid hormone, you can give it a try and follow up with blood tests in a few weeks. It will quickly show if you are taking too much/too little thyroid hormone.

2
Posted by: I Meyer | 2010-01-13

My thyroid was tested more than 4 years ago and frequently afterwards is underactive and was then declared as not functioning at all by a General Surgeon. I was on Eltroxin initially and then the General surgeon changed my medication to Diotroxin. My weight has increased quite a lot over the past year, but I also gave birth in May last year and since then I have not lost an inch. I still have many of the simptoms of Hyperthyroidism. Can you please refer me to a specialist that deals with thyroid problems in Pretoria? Or can you give me some advise on this? The General Surgeon also told me he will not remove my thyroid as it is no longer functioning and I will only be sitting with an ugly scar if I do.

Reply to I Meyer
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-12

Hallo Tessa

Reply to cyberdoc