Posted by: Joan | 2009-07-20

I need to have multi nodular thyroids removed. Please could you advise me where on the web I can find out which is the best surgeon to go to? I am in the Western Cape.

Dear Joan
Look on - on the right hand side is a blue block that says "free search". search People, category medical, speciality surgeon, region western cape

Posted by: Joan | 2009-07-23

Thank you so much for your replies. The procedure is: Total Lobectomy. Would I have to take meds for the rest of my life? Do I need to look for a Vascular Surgeon?

Reply to Joan
Posted by: swg | 2009-07-20

I also had a multi nodular thyroid and have and about 15 removed in total starting when i was 12. My surgeon was a general surgeon at panorama recommended to us by our GP at the time. Even tho my thyroid function is fine I am also on eltroxin to avoid the goiters from coming back. (i was on eltroxin a couple of years after having the first batch removed but they kept on coming and going. but i was having problems breathing and swollowing so we decided to remove most of the thyroid and all the nodules there were 13 back then. also so that the thyroid would be too small to have space to grow anymore nodules) good luck!

Reply to swg
Posted by: bibi | 2009-07-20

r they removing your entire/some of your thyroid or only the nodules? i had 2 nodules removed over past 20 yrs, they wre not on the thyroid so they did not touch the thyroid, they were benign. I then developed anothr 3 nodules but because theyknow the history they refused to remove them, instead i went to a surgeon who prescribed elthroxin, he said they would shrink which they did. SO he did not have to operate for the 3rd time! ask them if its just the nodules or not but any surgeon should be able to do it.

Reply to bibi