Posted by: Anna Sui | 2009-07-01

I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (2 years now) and have been on Diatroxin for the last 6 months. My doc changed my meds from Eltroxin to Diatroxin as the Eltroxin was not working. I' ve just had my blood test done and my doc says that all is okay. I am still very tired and my hair is still falling out way too much. Now that my doc says I am okay is the Hypothyroidism gone forever? How often will I need to have tests done to see if its come back? Should I get a second opinion?

Dear Anna Sui
You will always have hypothyroidism and will always need supplementation like Eltroxin or Diatroxin. You will have to have regular tests of your thyroid function - at least every 6 months. If your symptoms persist, it may be a good idea to see an endocrinologist as in a small percent of patients it is difficult to get to the right dosage of the thyroid supplement.