Posted by: Bets | 2009-04-07

Hallo Dr. Bets - I have been using eltroxin for the last 6 months. First one tablet in the morning and now 2. I still am tired, still have low blood pressure, no weight loss whatsoever, still not enough iron. I know that Eltroxin is supposed to produce the T4 hormone but it seems that the T4 does not change to the T3 (Or is it the other way around?) hormone of which I am sure further medication would help. Could you please supply me with the name to enable me to discuss with my GP?

Hallo Bets
2 thyroid hormones, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), are produced by the thyroid gland. More T4 is released into the blood than T3 (20 to 1). Thyroxine (T4) is converted to the active T3 (which is 3-4 x more potent than T4) within cells and you need iodene for this. Tertroxin is a synthetic form of T3. It is preferred over Eltroxin (synthetic T4) by many doctors because it does not require conversion in the body.
If you also have low iron levels you may need to take iron supplements too as thyroid treatment will not improve this or the low blood pressure.
Dr Bets.