Posted by: Annie | 2009-01-12

Hi Doc i' m not sure but my hair falls out alot, my whole house has my hair on the floor even our swimingpool' s filter has alot after i have swam my husband showed me and now i' m worried i' m also not loosing weight that easily and 2 years ago when i had my thyroid tested it was fine. What could it be my husband also compains that i' m constantly tiered, i have a baby of 11mnths but she sleeps very well, i' m really getting worried.

Dear Annie
I have discussed your question with a Dermatologist and he says that you are suffering from a condition called chronic telogen effluvium. This is a condition where there is increased hair shedding after circumstances like pregnancy, stress or illness. In women who have had a healthy pregnancy the natural hair cycle is delayed during pregnancy and then accelerates after the birth for 6-18 months after which time the quantity of hair shedding usually returns to normal. This condition can be aggravated by loss of iron due to breastfeeding and the pregnancy itself and it may be advisable to have your body iron levels checked by your dr. A supplement such as Vigro contains vitamins plus a shampoo and hair tonic which is very helpful during the hair shedding period. If the amount of shedding persists for longer than 1 year after the baby's birth, then you should consult a Dermatologist.