Question
Posted by: Salomie | 2008/07/17

THYROID

My daughter (aged 22) have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid and takes medication (Altroxin). Could you perhaps help us with a diet that she could use to get rid of the excess weight that she has gained(at this stage she borders on obesity). The other problem is that her body does not absorb calcium, and this results in kidney stones.

Dear Salomie
Because of your daughter's tendency to form kidney stones, I would recommend that she should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a slimming diet for her that takes this tendency to form kidney stones into account. I would also recommend that your daughter should start doing aerobic or cardio exercise every day for 30 min or more (e.g. running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). The exercise helps with weightloss and makes it easier to stick to a slimming diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and so a Search with 'Diet and kidney stones' to read the article I wrote on this subject.