Question
Posted by: Joanita | 2011/10/10

Thyriod removed

Hey my thyriod has been removed (hyperoveractive thyriod with nodules). I am on eltroxin and ever since I am gaining weight like hell. I do not eat any different before the operation. To be exact I eat less than before the operation. Is there any foods I should not eat now.

Dear Joanita
I am sorry to hear that you had to have your thyroid removed, because the thyroid gland is one of the most important regulators of metabolism and thyroid hormone can help to prevent weight gain. If you are steadily gaining weight after your op, it is essential that you return to your dr who prescribe the Eltroxin so that the dr can determine if the dosage is correct or not. It may be necessary to increase the dosage but only your dr can do this after testing the thyroid hormone levels in your body. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). The exercise is particularly important because your metabolism may be suppressed by the hypothyroidism and aerobic exercise is still the best metabolic stimulant available. Try to do at least 30 minutes of one of the exercises listed above every day and you should start losing weight.
Hang in there

1

Dear Joanita
Hang in there