Question
Posted by: Joanita | 2011/05/17

Thyriod

I had my thyroid removed in December 2010. Since then the problems with my eyes just got worse. There is stuff coming out of my eyes and its very puffy. Is this due to the thyriod. And I gained a lot of weight. What food must I aviod or is it the eltroxin? I have migrains every day and high blood pressure

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Joanita,

If the migraines are related to your thyroid problems, then they should subside once the thyroid has settled It is absolutely essential, in the light of your other symptoms, that you get an appointment immediately with the doctor who removed your thyroid, as your medication is not adequate. Once your thyroid hormones have been stabilized, if your migraines persist, then you need a proper assessment as th the cause of the migraines. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/05/17

Dear Joanita,

Reply to Headache expert