Posted by: mom | 2008-11-27

Hi Cs, my 12yr old was evaluated by the Teddy bear sycologist,also the shrink and the syco at school.
Teddybear has passed him with flying colours, I had picked up that his teacher was the problem and this last term his come out tops.Today I get a call from the school syco, she wants him to have a thyroid test and suggests attending a mentally disturbed school in bryanston.
She is pushing for this and I told her his had problems is his class reason he was not doing any work for his teacher, his been moody at times but has no problems with his peers.
Yesterday he was asked to attend a leadership class for grade 7 all this after I had to write the school a stinking letter.
There has been no motivation and I am always told his going to fail, I asked them to fill in a form for a barsury for him and his teacher refused saying his marks were low.
His a brailliant child and I told them that I would contact the educational board if I have to to rewrite his exams, in the first term she made me sign a form stating that I was aware that he may fail at year end, the second to last term the kids did no tests because they had the schools 100 birthday and had to practise every day for months.No school work was actually done. Yes he may be depressed having a loss in the family buy Teddy bear and others all say his alright.
The school being aware of problems with myself and partner keep rubbing this in although all was sorted out a yr ago but they keep asking if he has problems at home.What do I do here.
Can thyroid glands do this as they say his overweight and has a thickness around the neck and blaming that.

Sounds like a less than desirable shool, handling him clumsily. Unless he has seen a DOCTOR, medical, a paediatrician, suggesting thyroid problems sounds like guesswork. Its a more common problem in adults, but if one's thyroid gland ( in the neck ) is under-active, one tends to get fatter, slower, think slowly, and get really depressed and functioning poorly, among other symptoms. Fairly simply blood and other tests can usually confirm this or make it clar that this is NOT a problem. And an under-active thyroid tends to enlarge and may give one a thickness around the neck. No harm in having him see a paediatrician and have this checked out.
Too often teachers and scholl administrators prefer to blame the kid, or problems at home, or both, rather than admit that their system isn't perfect, and some teachers aren't very good.

Posted by: Murtle | 2008-11-28

If I was you I would take my child out of that school. The school has now labelled him and it is just going to continue.

Reply to Murtle
Posted by: mom | 2008-11-27

Thanks CS reason his been to all the psychiatrist and sycologist it' s all their saying he needs this and that even his eye sight was questioned and he has 101% eyesight, all the tests was what they' ve wanted and they have been proved wrong all the time.

Reply to mom