Question
Posted by: Hilde | 2010/09/11

Thrush

Due to a sever stomach bug and UTI I was on several courses of antibiotics recently. After taking a course of Augmentin I had a white milky and fine clotty, almost crumbly vaginal discharge. The doctor diagnosed it as thrush and prescribed a cream as treatment. Shortly after, I had my period and it sometimes had the same texture as the discharge during the thrush. This cleared after my period but I still sometimes had the milky white discharge and when I then had my period, it was extremely heavy. I have always had very light periods lasting about 3 days. For the first time in my life, I had a period that lasted a full week and it was heavy bleeding. Most of the blood was almost a watery blood. My UTI persisted and I had to take another course of Augmentin. A few days after finishing it, I got a severe bout of thrush. The doctor prescribed a cream again as well as Diflucan. My period just started and it seems as it is the same heavy period as before. Can thrush cause a heavy period?

Thrush does not cause heavy periods but the antibiotics could interfere with hormone levels. Take probiotics next time you need antibiotics.

1