Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-02

Thrush

My girlfriend and I had thrush some months ago and we received medication for it which cleared it up, but it keeps recurring. Most times it seems to clear itself up after a few days, but it has comeback again and is more persistent this time. We are both meticulous about hygiene, but thrush is not really related to hygiene anyway. We engage in quite a lot of oral sex (both ways) and are wondering if this could be contributing to the thrush in any way?

Dear Anon
Thrush is caused by candida which is a commensal yeast (meaning that it lives in the vagina normally) but overgrows when conditions are not right ( like when using douches, or female hygiene products, not changing tampons often enough or with use of certain oral contraceptives ) If you do not have white spots in the mouth indicative of oral candida infection, it is unlikely to be caused by oral sex. The most probable cause is that the candida infection of your girlfriend is recurring - she may need to go for a vaginal smear to see if the infection is not still active deep in the vagina.