Question
Posted by: Disco | 2012-03-01

thrown into the deep end

I have been thrown into the deep end, My boss instructed me to do a presentation for a high profile delegation since he iwill not be available on that day, he will prepare the presentation. I am wishing for that day not to arrive as I am not used to doing presentations. How do I escape this

Grossly unfair and irresponsible of your boss. Tell him pleasantly and firmly that you are anxious, as you are not used to giving presentations, especially not on such high-profile occasions. Maybe he can either arrange an alternative, or at least arange for himself and maybe someone else to coach you, and give you an opportunity for you to practice the presentation to feel more confident about it. To give you just the powerpoint slides at the last minute would be highly unfair.
I understand that you feel anxious about this prospect, but why not try to make good use of the challenge, to hone your speaking and presentation skills, and to be better able to take on such important roles in future ?

1