Question
Posted by: Mirror | 2008/07/23

Thrombosis

2 weeks ago i started having pain in my right calf, after 3 days of having this pain i went to a dr who at first could not feel anything in my leg and prescribed cataflam. i did not think it was a muscle pull so i asked him to rule out thrombosis. he took a blood test which did confirm that there was something wrong, i went for my doppler which showed small clots in my lower leg. and was asked to see a specialist who would be able to prescribe the right medication for me. the pain has completely vanished now and i still have not gone to the dr.

can this mean that my clots are gone? do i still need to see a specialist?

my medical aid savings is now exhuasted and im worried about all the cost that i would have to carry.

Dear Mirror
The danger is that there may still be small clots that can loosen and cause serious pulmonal embolism which could cause you to end up in intensive care - but I would suggest that you re-do the D dimer test to see if this is still elevated and discuss with your doctor (GP) to put you on a short course of anti-coagulants to prevent any further clotting. See also http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Dvt/DVT_WhatIs.html