Posted by: wendy | 2011-08-29

Throat Pain

Afternoon. I have a strange problem, I get a pain in my throat/neck which seems like a dull ache then it dissapears for a few days and is then back. I seem to have difficulty swallowing - pipe feels constricted but I do not have a " sore thoat"  at all and it feels like I need to swallow twice to actually get the food or liquid down properly. I also get a pain which runs (feels like) from my stomach up to this spot in my neck and then into my jaw - so bad that I feel like I am having a heart attack!!! There is no lump at all in the area. My thyroid is fine - checked as I am on Eltroxin. Any ideas? Should I go to my doctor? Just seems crazy to go to the doctor when the pain is not there all the time and the extreme pain only lasts about 10 minutes and I never know when it will occour. I had my Gall Bladder out about 2 years ago and the heartburn is now horrific - could this possibly be the cause?

You should consult your doctor to have a gastroscopy and barium meal done. I think your symptoms are due to reflux gastritis, where the stomach content push up and into the oesophagus. This causes severe irritation and can easily be mistaken as a heart attack. In the interim, you can use Gaviscon Plus, three times daily, before meals.