Question
Posted by: Lauls | 2011-02-14

Throat and Nose

HI Doc. I am a South African and am in New York for 4 months. I have been here for a month and a half. I got a cold at the beginning because of the cold which cleared up on it''s own. But I have been struggling with my nose and throat since. I cough up mucus every morning and my nose is either running or blocked. does it sound like I need to see a doctor or could it possibly be a side effect from the cold? I don''t feel sick but the lack of oxygen to my brain when I can barely breathe is not very pleasant.. I have bought some allergy medication to try and have been using it since yesterday. not sure if that''s going to help.

Hallo Lauls
If you do not have fever, yellow or green phlegm, or tenderness over the sinus area, you probably do not need antibiotics. Try using a decongestant nose spray twice a day, and rinse your nose with saline (one can buy at a chemist, or make up yourself with 1 cup of luke warm water and 1/2 teaspoon salt - sniff up and blow out)Taking an antihistamine and an expectorant cough mixture may also help. If you are very congested even after using this, you may need to see a doctor for a prescription for some cortisone tablets for a few days.

1
Posted by: cYBERDOC | 2011-02-14

Hallo Lauls

Reply to cYBERDOC