Posted by: R | 2011-01-13

Hi Doc,
Thanks in advance.
I seem to have these little lumps of fat coming out of my throat. I do not have bad breath or any other problems to talk off. This has become quite frequent over the last year, and I periodically find a build-up starting to come lose and I spit it up. Lately, however, I find once they come out I have a bit of irritation in my throat and its also sore. Is this much cause for concern? What can I do to eradicate the lumps, because I find it annoying to say the least.

Many thanks,

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear R

It is not possible to have lumps of fat just coming out of your throat. You need a full ENT examination to find a possible cause. The origin may vary from an untreated post nasal drip, to tonsiloliths (stones in the tonsil). If your tonsils have been removed, that excludes the tonsils as a cause. It could possibly be coming from the nasal area, collecting in the throat, which in turn causes irritation. An undiagnosed problem with the stomach causing reflux could also be responsible.
Have yourself examined in order to exclude a possible cause.