Question
Posted by: CV | 2008-10-30

Three months and no weight loss

Hi doc

I' ve been training for three months now with a personal trainer 4 times a week, plus 1 - 2 on my own. I also follow a strict eating plan worked out for me by a dietitian. It' s going very well and my fitness levels have improved dramatically and I' ve lost cms, but not a single kg on the scale. Both myself and my trainer are completely stumped because the scale won' t budge! And I" m not a little overweight - I' m about 30 - 40 kgs overweight so it' s not even negotiable that I stay at this weight.

Do you have any clue as to what might be going on? I must just mention that I' ve got an under active thyroid (controlled with meds - recently tested) and high blood pressure. My recent blood and urine tests also showed I' m bordering on insulin resistance, but doc said it' s nothing to worry about just yet.

Help?

Dear Help?
I think that you need to go back to your dietitian and discuss this problem with her and do mention the border-line insulin resistance as you may do better on a low-fat, low-GI diet if you are not already on this type of diet. The fact that you have lost cm does show that you are losing fat, even if you are not losing kgs. The latter could also be due to water retention which can be influence by thyroid function. It will take up to 3 months for your thyroid function to normalise, which may retard weightloss too.
See the dietitian and keep up the exercise which is stunning.