Posted by: cally | 2009-03-05

threats at work getting too much!

I am an Industrial relations officer at a very large company, and am almost solely responsible for discipline within the company. As it is a very aggression-fueled industry (private security), I tend to get several threats weekly from employees when I have to dismiss them. I used to treat it as a joke, and laugh it off, but I think it' s starting to get to me. I' ve been very jumpy, paranoid and haven' t been sleeping well. My chronic illness is flaring up from the stress, and making it worse. I think that it got to a point this week when 2 guys said they would shoot me and my managers if I fired them. Unfortunately, I had to do my job, and told them that if anything did happen, the investigators would know where to look first. I don' t think I can carry on like this. I am a small, petite woman, and even if I wasn' t killed outright, it would be easy for any of these people to overpower and hurt me or worse. I' m at the point where I' m looking for other jobs, as much as I love my job it isn' t worth the constant stress and paranoia. Am I being silly? What should I do?

Probably the safest thing would be to leave the industry, as your skills are suely valuable in any industry. Its sad that the "security" industry seems to employ so many thugs and criminals, and that those being fired ( surely you don't make those decisions, rather than communicatng them ) don't understand that you are communicating, not adjudicarting. Until you find a safer position, explain to them that you personally did no decide to fire tham, and don't have the power to reverse that decision, that harming you will definitely not improve their position but only land them in more trouble, as they would be the obvious prson to arrest should anything like that happen. You are not being silly

Posted by: cally | 2009-03-05

As long as I' m not paranoid! I am actually the person who dismisses, although it is ALWAYS after proper procedure and a hearing, and my decisions are 200% solid and based in fact (I have never lost at ccma, and go there on average twice a month). So the guys are right to be angry at me, but then again they shouldn' t have committed the misconduct in the first place.
I' m sending out my cv, this industry is far too violent! There' s enough crime in daily life without me having to deal with it at work too.

Reply to cally
Posted by: harsh | 2009-03-05

good idea to get another job - its just not worth it to stay and you sound highly skilled so you should easily find another better job.

good luck

Reply to harsh
Posted by: Cowards All | 2009-03-05

Sorry to hear of your predicament and you are truely vulnerable. I am afraid this is the way this country is heading, lead by a criminal government with sympathies with terrorist countries and organisations. The rule of law is a joke, Zuma and Shaik for example. Money wasted and embezzled, dishonest SAP and Metro Cops (generalising but still very prevalent) Security Guards in cahoots with criminals allowing them to commit crimes on the premises that they are Guarding and helping themselves where ever they can. Disloyal ,disinterested and a bigger threat than you can imagine. Their intimidating tactics is akin to terrorism, something they are very comfortable with. I would be inclined to get our of the industry you are in and move into something  less stressful. I don' t think its going to get any better. Good luck

Reply to Cowards All