Question
Posted by: worried | 2010/08/07

Threats

I''m incredibly worried about my husbands brother. He is under a lot of stress (work &  financial) and it''s affecting his marriage. My husband told me today that he threated 3 times now to kill his wife and 2 sons (4 &  2 years old) His has terrible mood swings and can be happy now and a second later incredibly abusive verbally, especially to his wife. I feel sorry for her. I don''t know if he has threatened her or if he is threatening to kill himself too. He has told me he wishes he never had children, but the kids are just normal little boys, not brats or anything like that! What can we do to help? I''m scared he will carry out his threat!

Anyone's threats to harm themselves must be taken seriously, anyone's threats to harm others should probably be taken even more seriously. Its hard for anyone to assess such a situation from a distance, but perhaps the wife should consider moving out, with the children, to stay with family, with suitable protection, until this is resolved ; and he should be strongly urged to seek psych help for his condition.
In a normal society one also discuss such a situation with the police, but it's far from clear whether most of our police stations would know how to be helpful in such a situation. If she, having found refuge elsewhere ( best of all, somewhere where he could not find them ) sought help and counselling for herself, she could explore with someone who then knew all the details, optiosn for getting help for her husband. One wonders, too, whether his workplace is aware of his state ( they should be ) and what they may think of doing - as sudden negative action on their side could precipitate a crisis dangerous for others.

1