Threatening Boss

We have a new manager at our company who constantly asks staff members " How long have you been here and dont include tomorrow as you may not be here?" 
I find this unacceptable and all grievances regardign this go to him and are blatantly ignored and said he is joking. We have no HR dept as we are a small company.
What can we do about him and his threats ??

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

This is an incredibly difficult situation as it appears that the only man you can complain to is the man who is the problem. I do believe that you need to go to the Department Of LAbour and investigate the problem by keeping your name confidential. it is suggested that you try this route before you stand up as you will be picked on and you will receive more threats if he knows exactly who it is.

Posted by: anon | 2009-07-23

ignore the fool. don' t engage an idiot on his level. He has far more practice at being stupid and will win due to experience...!
But seriously,if a formal grievance is ignored, you can always take it higher (his boss, or ccma) if you feel the need. Someone can only be dismissed if it is substantively and procedurally fair (i.e. if there is fair reason, and if it is done properly). Most likely he will have to learn the hard way to be a decent business person.

Reply to anon