Question
Posted by: BEW | 2012-11-01

Thoughts

I am a 32 year old female and was diagnosed with bipolar2 about 6 years ago. In brief the following has occurred in the last year and a half. My parents seperated and are now divorced,something that should of happened a long time ago but anyway, due to my father leaving the property he shared with my grandparents they were forced to sell and now live very far away so I have only seen them twice in this time this is hard for me. I have been making very poor descions over the last year and have go myself into a lot of financial trouble, I have been depressed for over a year as well which has not helped my logical thinking. A friend of mine killed herself by hanging earlier this year. I feel a lot of pressur at work as I am afraid of losing my job. my relationship of 11 years came to an end last week. My weaknesses are making poor financial desicions, drinking and gambling and I become quite compulsive. I dont share easily. Trying to pull myself together but I am struggling. I am predisposed to depression etc is there any real hope for me, cause i feel like i am not in control of my life. My uncle was schizophrenic and died as a man with nothing literally on the street, i worry thats where i am headed, and I dont know if i can live with those type of fears. I am a weak individual cause I cannot stop from thinking bad and scary things. sorry if post is too long

Of course a series of unfortunate events actually caused by others would also have been unpleasant for you. And then the poor decision-making and financial problems you've managed to create on your own.
What worries me most ( because everything you describe, though very unpleasantm can be sorted out ) is that you don't mention any treatment at all. Please arrande as soon as practical, to see a good local psychiatrist for a fresh assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Medications may be really helpful, but also ask for referral to a good local psychologist who can provide Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) which is highly effective in treating straight depression, and especially good in dealing with the 'cannot stop thinking bad and scary things " edge of the problem, in helping you learn to assess and revise unhelpful habits of thought and behaviour, such as the drinking, gambling, etc. Drinking ALWAYS makes depression worse, and also reduces your degree of self-control, which would add to your other problems.