Question
Posted by: BW | 2012/08/21

Thoughts

Hi there.

I dont know what to do at the moment. I am in a really really bad space. I have struggled with depression throughout my life, including struggling when a child and as a teenager. It has been really bad the last year, I think due to some changes within my family. I find it terrifying having to trust in or confide in other people, including the specialists I see. I had a really bad experience last month, when my psychiatrist changed my medication and then was not available when I had really disturbing side effects. I had to stop taking them as I felt I was in danger. I have not been taking anything since. My sleep is not good, i wake up in the early hours of the morning, sometimes in tears sometimes in a shear panic. I am having panic attacks. I am really concerned that I am going to do myself harm. Due to the depression I have also not been making the best desicions and am now in a whole lot of financial trouble. I need help, I am overwhelmed, but when I try talk or share I panic and then dont say what I need to. I am really really afraid, are there any other options for me?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience - doctors should never be "unavailable" without providing a locum or covering doc to handle urgent inquiries ( obviously there are various good reasons why one individual doc might not always be available ).
Whenever meds are changed, there should be a full discussion of why this is, what to expect from the new meds, and, for instance, a reminder that side-effects are uually worst in the first couple of weeks, and what to expect and how to handle it.
I think you should change your shrink, and see a new psychiatrist for a fresh assessment of the situation and a full discussion of your treatmentoptions, which should include CBT style counselling as well as medicines.
I am absolutely certain that you can be helped to feel a great deal better than this. I understand that you feel nervous about confiding in a new specialist, but it will be well worth it, and your discussions with a doc are confidential, and they are there to help, not to judge you.
What you describe must be very distressing indeed, but if you can continue to pluck up your courage and persist in seeking a proper specialist and working with the doc to use treatment to improve this situation, you will be able within weeks to be feeling improved, and probably a good deal better within months. You're worth it

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012/08/21

You know you need help, which is a good start. I would change psychiatrists - if he wasn''t available then someone else should have been in his place. It is often difficult to get an appointment on short notice so I suggest that you urgently see your gp or go to an emergency room and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. Write down everything you want and need to tell the doctor (including how you feel, what meds you are taking or have taken, and some history). Then just hand him or her the paper, no need to talk.

Please do this right now, call for an appointment or go to the ER. You can and deserve to be helped, even if it doesn''t feel that way to you because of the depression.

Reply to Maria