Posted by: kearabiloe ledwaba | 2009-08-08

third hand smoking

im 17 years old doing grade 12.
my business studies teacher is a heavy smoker and he always smells of cigarettes and you find that we sleep during his lessons and he hits us with a chalkboard duster on our heads hard.

now, what impact is his smoking and beating having on our health and what special rights do i have concerning this?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

If I understand you correctly, you mean that he smokes outside the classroom (inside the classroom is of course illegal). Toxins from cigarette smoke do cling to a smoker's hair and clothes ("3rd-hand smoke", as you've correctly called it). We don't know how much of a health risk they are yet, but there is no safe level of these toxins: it's better not to be around them, but it's likely the risk is low. In any case, it is perfectly legal for your teacher to be a smoker, as long as he doesn't smoke in the classroom.

As for hitting you with the duster (!): No, he is definitely not allowed to do that. Corporal punishment (i.e. physical punishment) is illegal in our schools. You and your parents/guardians have the right to complain about this to your teacher's employer.

Posted by: Kay | 2009-08-31

But you should also not be sleeping in the class room no wonder he hits you. Try and stay awake and see what happens. I am sure he will not hit you again.

Reply to Kay