Posted by: Desperate | 2009-04-20

Think of food, even on waking

SIGH! I am 46 and weigh 85kg, 5ft 4inches. Hugely overweight, in my opinion. Doc said I should weigh 56kgs for my height. I know quite a bit about weight loss as it is something I read up a lot about. My problem? All I think about is food and luxuries!!! The more I think of dieting, the more these evils enter my head. What do I do? Please help to motivate me.

Oh yes, I even know I should drink lots of water, but can' t get myself into that either. Sometimes I go without having had any but a half glass at night time to take tablets (Glucosamine). Help Help Help Please.

Dear Desperate
Your present BMI = 32 which is in the obese range. Your dr is being a bit overenthusiastic about you needing to weigh 56 kg (BMI of 21 which is below the ideal of 22). I think you need to aim for a weight of 66 kg so that you have a BMI of 25 and can get back into the normal range. Before you even try losing weight you first must rid yourself of this obsession with food. I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist who will assist you in finding out why you are obsessed with food (e.g. are you using food as a crutch or a security blanket or an excuse, etc). Once you have determined why food is so important in your life, the psychologist will help you adopt less destructive behaviours that will free you to follow a diet and to do exercise. Once you have cleared up the psychological problems you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (psychological aspects, factors that hamper weightloss, etc) by surfing on this site.